Help and support

Initial help/support

Friends and family are often the first source of support a person seeks when they have been raped.  Sometimes they do not want to tell anyone about what has happened.  It is important that they seek help so that they do not allow what has happened to affect their life permanently.  They are not to blame for what happened.


Counselling is available in the community to help those victimised deal with the effects of the abuse.  It can be sought immediately or after weeks, months or even many years because the effects of the abuse can be, but not necessarily, long term.

Choosing a counsellor

It is important when choosing a counsellor that they are specialised in sexual abuse counselling.  It is also important that the counsellor has regular supervision for the work they are doing and that they work under a Code of Ethics of a Professional Body, such as NZAC.   Anyone can call themselves a “counsellor”, but not everyone has the training needed to ensure safe practice.  Counselling is very personal so it is important that the relationship between the counsellor and client is comfortable and safe.  If it doesn’t feel right for that individual, encourage them to try someone else.  The most important thing is that appropriate help is accessed.

Agencies who specialise in Sexual Abuse

ACC approved counsellors are trained and approved to work with those who have been sexually abused.  An up-to-date list of counsellors for Rotorua, and all parts of New Zealand, can be obtained from the local ACC office in Pukaki Street, or from the Sensitive Claims Unit in Wellington – Ph: 0800-735-566, or on their website:

Self referrals can be made to ACC Counsellors (phone an ACC counsellor directly to make an appointment) or a Doctor can make the initial referral to ACC who will then send a letter to the claimant.

Sexual Abuse Centre (Rotorua) Incorporated

The Sexual Abuse Centre offers support/information/counselling to victims, family and friends of those sexually abuse.  If the victimised person is eligible for ACC counselling, this may be provided at the Centre.  On-going support is available for family members and friends who will not be eligible for ACC counselling but have been affected by the abuse.  The office is open from 8.30 am – 12.30 pm weekdays.  Outside of these hours appointments are necessary. An answer phone service is available.

DSAC – Doctors for Sexual Abuse

There is a roster of Doctors available who have specialised in caring for those who have been sexually abused.  It is important that those abused are checked for sexually transmitted diseases, pregnancy, and for any physical injuries. These Doctors are also trained to do forensic examinations to collect relevant data that could be used should the person decide to report the matter to the Police.


If the person wishes to report the matter to the Police, either ring 111 or phone the local station, 348-0099 and ask to speak to someone on the Police Sexual Abuse Team.  Both male and female, Maori and non-Maori officers usually work on this team – it may be important to the person abused to have a choice.